Thursday, January 11, 2007

In Black and White: A French Blog Discussing an Animated Series about HIV

In my recent web wanderings, I came across a blog that discussed the Incendia Health (www.incendiahealth.com) animated series LIVE WITH IT (www.livewithit.com).  It was all in French, so I spent a little time trying to recall my high school french to translate it.  Below is my attempt at a translation (if I really screwed something up, let me know).  It's quite an interesting blog.  But more importantly, it serves as a reminder (at least for me) that what we do, however insignficant it might feel sometimes, does make a difference in the lives of real people dealing with real diseases.

 

----------------------------------------

 

 

Translated from French, from the blog:

 

“Amours, vertiges & chlorophylle: Carnets naifs d’un homme face a la vie et au VIH”

 

http://amoursvertiges.blogspirit.com/archive/2007/01/10/en-noir-et-black.html

 

January 10, 2007

 

In Black and White

 

When I have a little spare time, I pass it surfing the Internet.  Every day masses of information about research, treatments, and strategies for the prevention of HIV are published.  Despite the volumes of information, sometimes it can be difficult to find.  At moments, it is necessary to be strong to digest it all without being blown away. But with time, one becomes hardened and one becomes accustomed to reviewing it and reflecting.

 

I felt a bolt of lightning strike me when I came upon this one particular publicity campaign. While its darkness can be unrelenting, there is nowhere better than a dark place to see a burst of light.

 

In its three episodes, “Live With It” approaches topics of refusal, anger and culpability associated with HIV with great tact. These topics are significant and very powerful. I myself attend a support group, similar to that where each of the three characters in the clips find themselves at the end. There, we see in the clips, the environment is less dark and heavy. The first time that I set foot in my support group was an enormous step for me. My trick was not to reflect much before going there. On several occasions I saw individuals arrive under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

 

With the passing of time, the stories are revealed. Behind this invisible virus the accumulations of quiet wounds hide.   This aspect is particularly well captured by these clips.

 


 

COMMENT 1 (from INDILOU)

Wow... This is extremely strong (and the graphics are very beautiful).

 

COMMENT2 (from ERIC)

I agree with Indilou’s comment.

 

COMMENT 3 (from BUEL)

Rather well done. Even though it remains to be seen how things will end up for the characters, it is often the first step that counts!

 

COMMENT 4 (from ALMERIA)

Thank you so much for this link, which seems to resemble your life quite closely – especially in its tone, sensitivity and efficacy of delivering the message. I can’t find the words to express what I feel. You know, several times I tried to put myself in your shoes, a traditional process one goes through to identify with someone that is similar to them (so as to try to understand them).   In the end, I have never quite been able to get there: my imagination alone is enough to make me back away in panic.  I think that my denial begins there.

 

COMMENT 5 (from JEANNE)

I am a bit like Alméria.   

I don’t have the words

And even if my English is poor

I understood it well

I recognized it

I saw it
I met you there

and I embraced you.   

 

COMMENT 6  (from PIERRE YVES, The Blog Host)

 

To Éric and Indilou: It is insane what one can do with a simple flash animation. The creators did a really remarkable job.

 

To Buel: I believe that the impact of this campaign, while perhaps small, will be essential.  In fact, it is a first step.

 

To Alméria: Thank you for the compliment. Everything is relative. To see your denial is to already have surpassed it. I believe that the worst denial is that of our society.  This story here finishes well.  But I have heard so many other horror stories, here, in France, everywhere…

 

To Jeanne: I would really like to see these clips translated into French. That should not be so complicated. While waiting, there are really interesting English tutorials on the following BBC website:

 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/index.shtml

 

The British accent is quite smart. ;-)

 

... And there is a petition to sign at the bottom of the positive links list (I fixed the link) because while the situation is not too rosy here in France, it is even more catastrophic in the southern hemisphere.

 

http://www.msf.org/petition_india/france.html

buzz this

1 comments:

Nedra Weinreich said...

Congrats! This is why we do the kind of work we do, isn't it? It's always nice to see how it affects real people.